• Place the oil in a saucepan and heat on medium.
• Sauté the onion.
• Add the garlic and fennel seeds and stir until onion is cooked through.
• Add the carrots, beets, and basil; stir for one minute.
• Add a bit of water and raise heat to boil.
• Turn heat to low once boiling and keep simmering without lid.
• Dilute miso as desired by adding water.
• Add water to about one-fourth of an inch in the pan and heat to a boil. Turn the heat down to low and keep simmering without a lid. Dilute the miso.
The nomato topping can be served hot or cold. We like to use it as a sauce on a dish such as the herbed millet squares.
Read next >> raw cucumber bruschetta